If your home has been exposed to water damage, either from a natural flood, burst pipe, or other plumbing and appliance issue, then your home is more susceptible to mold growth. Too often, people don't have the proper water damage restoration done because they believe that the water damage was not severe enough to require higher end equipment to clean and dry it up. However, even if it was small amounts of water, there is still some amount of risk for mold growth due to higher moisture levels in the home. Here are the biggest dangers of mold growth to be aware of:
- Asthma Attacks and Development: Mold spores in the air can definitely trigger an asthma attack for anyone with the condition. Not to mention that the mold spores can even trigger asthma development in young children.
- Allergic Reactions: Allergic reactions can definitely be seen when exposed to environments with mold spores in the air. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, but even if you have never experienced any kind of allergy in the past, you are still susceptible. In fact, some mold can release mycotoxins in the air that make the chance of allergic reactions even more possible. On top of it, there have even been cases of this type of mold causing cancer.
- Chronic Sinus Infections: When exposed to mold for a long period of time, you are also prone to chronic sinus infections. This means that even with treatment for yourself, you can continue to expect it to return until the mold is treated and removed from the home. Chronic sinus infections are more of an annoyance than life threatening, but can definitely lead to that if the sinus infections are not handled and treated properly.
- Pet Illnesses: If you have pets in the home, having mold growth can be serious. Pets can experience the worst of the symptoms because they are not only smaller, but their bodies operate differently. They can experience difficulty breathing, seizures and more.
These health concerns are the reasons why, any time there has been any kind of water damage in your home, it's worth it to hire professionals for water damage restoration. In the end, you can expect to have a clean and healthy home that doesn't have any underlying problems that may be making you and your family chronically ill. If you do believe that mold growth has something to do with your illness, be sure to get an inspection right away.